The revolution in mental health care
By Maike Stoll, 8. April 2021
“Based on analysis by McKinsey, COVID-19 could result in a potential 50 percent increase in the prevalence of behavioral health conditions.”
“What has effectively been a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ approach to mental health in the workplace is becoming instead ‘do ask, do tell, let’s talk’.”
“Six ways to ensure that mental health benefits serve a company and its people:
- Measure behavioral health.
- Make behavioral health a transparent priority.
- Hold leaders accountable for making progress on employee mental health.
- Explore a range of new services, including online interventions.
- Work closely with your health-benefits administrator to ensure adequate behavioral health coverage.
- Consider on-site mental health services.”
A revolution in mental health care in the workplace is maybe coming. Increased focus in the workplace on self-awareness, spirituality, and belief systems was lurking pre-covid.
And, as McKinsey writes, “preexisting mental health challenges have been exacerbated by the impact of the COVID-19 crisis”. We seek more insight, mindfulness, and gratefulness. And the companies need to embrace and encourage that in their people strategies.